Rugby is one of the most popular sports in the English-speaking world and beyond. Originating in the UK, it has spread to places like South Africa, France, New Zealand, and Australia. With that sort of presence and the exciting nature of the sport itself, rugby is an ideal choice for any punter looking for something new. And, fortunately, rugby betting sites are better and more advanced than ever!
So, why not change things up and snatch some juicy rugby league and rugby union odds? Well, that’s exactly what we’re providing you with. This rugby guide is the quintessential introduction to this amazing sport (or two), including the most popular bet types, FAQs, and all kinds of useful advice. It’s all about putting you in the best position possible because you deserve it. Let’s go, shall we?
Top Rated Bookmakers for Rugby Betting
Rugby is a contact sport known to gamblers across the globe. If you wish to access top rugby fixtures, you should consider any betting sites detailed below.
Very many bookies offer Rugby betting, but Bwin has the best rugby betting services. The sportsbook is unmatched with multiple rugby championships such as various rugby leagues, rugby union, and rugby autumn internationals.
- Has a full range of rugby markets.
- Offers rugby live streaming service.
- Provides punters with live rugby results.
- Allows cash-out of various rugby bets.
- Lacks suitable Rugby promotions.
Unibet is home to the best rugby events, including NRL and Super League. The site offers exciting odds but on select bets, among other fantastic features.
- Allows live streaming of some events.
- Offers Unibet live statistics.
- Provides punters with Unibet live scores.
- Has a bet builder for accumulator betting.
- Offers only a few live markets.
The Pinnacles rugby section is constantly crawling with events. Additionally, it is among the few sites with interactive features that make rugby betting easy.
- Offers Rugby Outrights.
- Provides rugby punters with betting tips.
- Offers live rugby statistics.
- Has enhanced rugby odds.
- Only covers international rugby markets.
Since its formation, Bet365 has been offering gamblers the best rugby matches. Therefore, with a Bet365 account, you can access hundreds of rugby fixtures either on your computer or phone.
- Has the best coverage of international rugby events.
- Allows live streaming of rugby matches.
- Updates rugby events regularly.
- Allows in-play betting.
- Rugby odds are slightly low.
The red and white themed bookmaker Ladbrokes is the perfect site if you are looking for impressive rugby fixtures. It is critical whether you want to punt on pre-matches or live events.
- Guarantees amazing odds.
- Allows in-play rugby betting.
- Suitable for live streaming rugby events.
- Offers real-time rugby results.
- Mainly covers international markets.
What is Rugby Betting?
Rugby betting can come in two forms – rugby union bets and rugby league bets. While it’s unusual to see one sport divulge into two different directions, this is not the only example. You also have grass hockey and ice hockey, as well as indoor and beach volleyball. But these two pairs are legitimately different, mainly due to the surface on the court/rink. What about rugby then? Here’s how we would explain it.
- Rugby league has 15 players per team and, over the course of one match, 10 substitutions can be made. As for scoring – a try is worth 4 points, while a drop goal is worth 1. Conversions also yield 2 points, and the same goes for penalties.
- Rugby union squads are composed of 13 players, and the rulebook allows for 8 substitutions per match. 5 points are awarded per try, while a conversion is worth 2. Both penalties and drop goals are worth 3 points.
The split between the two ‘codes’ of rugby happened in the 1890s. This was due to the original rules forbidding players from being paid. Several clubs from Lancashire and Yorkshire didn’t like the idea, mainly because the athletes missed their day job shifts without being compensated. The Northern Rugby Football Union (NRFU) was formed, marking the beginning of professional play and rugby league. Rugby union stayed amateur until 1995.
Which Are Some Trusted Rugby League & Rugby Union Betting Websites?
The first and most important ingredient in any successful rugby bet is a good bookie. Regardless of your preference and goals, you should only play at verified betting sites. These licensed online operators provide services under strict laws and guidelines, and even the smallest hint of scamming or defrauding can lead to an immediate shutdown.
Of course, not all of these sites can be amongst the select group of leading bookies. But do you know who can? The operators you see above! That’s right, these are the best bookmakers for rugby betting, and they were all hand-picked our good selves. Betenemy wishes you luck!
What Are the Available Betting Markets?
Rugby betting sites usually have separate sections for union and league, but since the games are pretty much the same, you’ll find the following markets for both sports:
- Number of tries. Tries are the most difficult way to score points in rugby, and that’s why they’re worth more than any other method of scoring. If you want to start betting online, this is a great introduction. You don’t have to focus on the winner/loser, just how many points one or both teams will score. The risk level is at a medium, but the odds are mint.
- Outright winner. Instead of placing bets on matchday, you can pick the winner of the whole tournament months in advance. Now, your success and the payout rate
- Draw no bet. Draws are always a bummer. Their mere existence at rugby betting sites limits your chances of hitting a 1×2 to just 33%. Enter the draw no bet market. It’s basically the same as the 1×2, except that you get your money back if the teams draw. The odds are low, but you have a 66% chance of not losing your money. Not a bad deal.
- First scoring play. Will it be a drop goal, a penalty, a try, or something else? This exciting prop bet lets you take a punt on the exact type of play that will lead to the opening of the floodgates.
- Totals – Over/Under. If you don’t want to risk your entire slip due to your pick blowing a lead, you can instead wager money on O/U markets. Rugby online bookmakers pick a number. Then, you have to decide whether the sum of both teams’ points will be higher or lower than that arbitrary threshold. If it’s a matchup between two offensive powerhouses, go over and watch them run it up.
- Winning margin. What happens when you’re not satisfied with the match-winner odds? You turn it up a notch, of course. The winning margin market allows you to pick the winner and the margin of victory as well. It adds another level of risk, but you’re in for a big payday if everything turns out okay.
- Match-winner. Devoid of anything complicated, the match-winner market involves picking who will win. That’s it. Don’t settle for low odds just because you want to try out this particular bet type. If the match is lopsided, then go for the handicap instead. Preferably a Euro one, at that.
- Highest scoring half. Rugby has two halves and you can pick one of them to feature more scoring than the other one. This bet also has several sub-groups, such as team A’s
- Race to
.Before the match starts, the bookie picks a number. This is backed by stats and analytics surrounding the teams, so the threshold can be reached, for all intents and purposes. You can pick team 1 to reach that number, team 2, or opt for betting on neither of them accumulating those points.
- Handicap markets. When one team is vastly stronger than their opponents, what’s the point of even placing a bet? Even though the outcome is already known, rugby betting sites have a way of making things interesting. The weaker team ‘technically’ starts with more points, meaning that they will win you the bet if they lose by less than that number of points. On the flip side, the favourites have to win by said number or more if they are to win the handicap.
What Are the Pros & Cons of Rugby Betting?
If you’re playing at the best rugby betting sites, there are no cons involved, as far as we’ve been able to tell. Given that you use one of our recommendations, the whole experience will be a premium one.
Some of these bookies also offer live streams for certain events, so you never know when you might catch an All Blacks game. And this is even without mentioning bonuses, rewards, and other goodies that you’ll get once you start betting. It’s definitely something worth trying.
What Are Some Rugby Betting Tips?
Want to take your betting skills to the next level? Use these tips to make smarter and more calculated decisions:
- Check the statistics and form of the teams. Oftentimes, the last 10 or so games tell you almost everything you need to know about a team. If they’re playing badly, you should definitely reconsider backing them. Good teams going through slumps will see odds on them rise, giving you an opportunity to gain extra value.
- Be familiar with the markets you bet on. Never bet on anything you’re not 100% familiar with. That’s how you acquire bad habits and make costly mistakes. Learn the rules, watch some games, and only place your first bet once you feel certain of your skills.
- Check the weather conditions. Wet grass or cold weather can make the match a living hell. When that happens, everything goes out the window. It’s an ideal chance to profit on some improbable exotics, too.
- Look out for injured players. Even though both league and union have teams of 10+ people, every player counts. A late absence might turn the whole matchup upside down. Follow the best rugby journals to get the latest scoops.
Is it a Good Idea to Place Live Bets on Rugby?
Why wouldn’t it be? The game lasts long enough for things to change many times over. It’s the tension and the uncertainty that make rugby live betting so much fun. However, Betenemy advises you to take it slow with this one. Try out pre-match markets and slowly work the in-play ones into your rotation.
Are there any rugby betting bonuses?
Yes, sites like Bet365, Bwin, and William Hill offer them regularly. Check out their sites for more information.
How to bet on rugby?
The best way to approach rugby betting is to read the rulebook, watch a few competitions, and start from the easiest bets until you gain some traction.
How to find the best rugby betting sites?
You can find the best rugby bookmakers right in our table above. It also contains the most important details of each operator.
Do I need rugby betting tips to win?
Not necessarily, but a good tipster can definitely point you in the right direction. Don’t forget – as good as the tip looks, don’t use it unless you understand the reasoning behind it.
What’s the best rugby betting market?
Draw no win has been Betenemy’s favourite for some time now. It adds a little bit of security to the classic that is the match-winner bet.