Which are the TOP bookmakers in Singapore and where to bet safely?
Which are the most trustworthy bookmakers that offer the best betting experience to Singaporean players? Find the answer to this question by checking out the chart below and reading our detailed review of the betting situation in Singapore.
- Population: First, let’s talk about the 2019 population of the country. According to UN data, there are an estimated 5,804,337 people in the country as of this year.
- Active players: According to data released by the National Council on Problem Gambling, 2017 saw a rise of active gamblers since 2014. In the 2017 survey, an approximated 52% of citizens gambled during the year, which is an 8% increase from 44% of 2014. It is most probable that the numbers have gone up in the past years.
- Currency: For the most part, the Singapore Dollar is the most prominent currency to be accepted for gambling. However, this may differ based on what bookie you go to. The overseas online sportsbooks usually use US dollar or Euros as their base currencies, but there are also some bookies that accept the SGD.
- Regulated gambling products: Singapore is actually very strict with the gambling products that can be found in the country. Sports gambling is rampant, but only Singapore Turf Club and Singapore Pools are legal. Casinos are also allowed in the country but are highly regulated. The same goes for lotteries.
- Operator types: Most online bookies are illegal in the country, so the gambling operators that you can safely play are usually the land-based ones.
- Designated authority: Since all forms of online gambling are generally banned in the country, there is no designated authority yet.
- Status: Online gambling is banned in Singapore.
Top 3 Foreign Bookmakers in Singapore
The Russian company 1xbet is one of the most popular bookmakers on a worldwide scale. They’re known for a robust number of betting markets, events to choose from, and bonuses to avail of. Other than that, they also have a very attractive live betting section all with high odds. They also have live streaming and a cash-out feature. Plus, they make use of mirror links so that it’s easier to access their website. The only disadvantage of the website is that payments tend to be delayed.
The bookmaker 22bet is also a pretty good choice for a sports betting website. However, they are more known for their casino rather than the sports platform. Their casino has a plethora of really nice games and has a very attractive design. Their sports betting section isn’t too bad either as it’s known for adequate odds, live streaming, and a cash-out feature. However, it doesn’t offer virtual sports for players.
Lastly, we have Betwinner. The company Betwinner has really great odds and extensive sportsbook. It also has a very attractive and interactive mobile app that’s pleasing to the eyes. In this platform, you’ll also find a great live streaming section as well as a cashout feature. The only problem with this platform is that it limits your daily winnings quite fast.
Important Things to Know About Betting Sites in Singapore
As we already mentioned above, betting in Singapore is generally illegal. However, there are still some people who are able to slip past the authorities’ website blocking practices via VPNs. That’s why they can still play. So with regard to the ones who do end up playing on the top websites we’ve mentioned above, here’s what these players are like and how robust the environment is.
First, let’s talk about competition. Although the above mentioned three are some of the most popular online bookies in Singapore, there are still others that have also slipped past security. These include Asian-based online bookie Dafabet as well as Ladbrokes. These two are almost up to par with the three top choices that we mentioned earlier.
On the legal side, land-based operators are the ones that have a strong presence in the country. On the not-so-legal side, we’ve got a number of online websites that people play in.
- Active Players
In 2017, the population of Singapore reached 5.6 million people. Out of that number, we estimate that a little more than half of the population has engaged in gambling activities.
- Key info for Singaporean Players
One of the key things to know about Singaporean players is that they love to bet on Football. It’s not uncommon to see Singaporeans go gaga over the sport and start to bet online soccer games in Singapore. Even if the activity is generally illegal, the people still find ways to go about with their favourite past time. Rugby, cricket, and badminton are also very popular sports in Singapore after football.
- Gambling taxes and players’ safety
Since online gambling websites are illegal in Singapore, those who still engage in the practice do not pay tax. If you are successfully able to bypass the authorities, then there is no way for the government to track your winnings. For land-based casinos though, there is a Casino Control Act. This isn’t a taxation act, but it actually imposes a levy of 100 SGD for every 24 hours a citizen stays in a casino or every time a citizen renews the annual membership.
Sports Betting in Singapore: An Overview – How we choose the best betting sites
So in the event that you feel a little brave and would like to try and bypass the authorities to place a bet on your favourite event, how do you choose a good betting site? We have our criteria here:
- Make sure that the website is licensed. Even if it’s not licensed in Singapore, make sure it has a legitimate license from a designated authorizing body.
- Ensure that the website is reputable. You can check out reviews to know if the website has a good reputation among players.
- Check the number of events and betting markets available. To have a good experience, you need to see if the betting markets are all up to standard. The more betting markets offered, the better.
- Know the odds. One of the most important parts of sports betting is knowing the odds. We recommend that you look for websites that have the best odds in Singapore.
What Kind of Odds Format Is Used in Singapore?
This depends on the website that you’re visiting. Generally, decimal odds are used, but there are some sites that use fractional odds as well.
Available Betting Markets in Most Bookmakers
Most bookmakers that are made available to players in Singapore are overseas, so you can expect to find betting markets such as football, badminton, basketball, rugby, cricket, and many more.
Most overseas bookies, especially the ones that we’ve listed as our top choices, all have international standards that they follow. So when it comes to user experience, without a doubt, these websites can produce the best.
Bonuses and Promotions for bettors from Singapore
It’s no surprise that bettors from Singapore love bonuses and promotions. In order to cater to that whim, promotions are offered. These promotions include welcome bonuses, ACCA bonuses, free bets for Singapore, and many other types that Singaporean punters can enjoy.
Live Betting, Live Streaming & Cash-Out Features
The live betting in Singapore sections of most online bookies really has a high standard when it comes to experience since live betting is one of the most exciting and popular sections in the online gambling industry. With that, live streaming is also a feature that’s also quite in demand. The live streaming feature allows players to watch their games while placing live bets on their desired teams. It’s a great feature for most sports enthusiasts.
Another feature, which is now offered in most online sportsbooks, is the cash-out feature. The cash out feature allows you to pull out of your bet even before the event is finished. This allows you to manage your risk well, so you can guarantee profits in the event the second half won’t turn out so well.
Online Casinos in Singapore
Unfortunately, all forms of online gambling are illegal in Singapore– that includes online casinos. So if you want to play in a casino legally, you may go to regulated land-based casinos found in some areas of the region.
Available Methods for Withdrawals and Deposits
For overseas bookies, some of the most widely used withdrawal and deposit options include Visa, Mastercard, Visa Electron, and Maestro. These include both credit and debit cards. Other than these, you also have Skrill, Paypal, and Neteller. However, Skrill seems to be one of the more popular choices for e-wallets.
Mobile Betting and Betting Apps
Since online sports betting is not legal in the country, the accessing of sports betting apps in Singapore is also illegal. It’ll be extremely difficult for you to download sports betting apps while under Singaporean jurisdiction. You still can access betting websites via VPN if you know how to use one.
Safety and Security
Since the Singaporean government does not support online betting, you will play at your own risk. There’s no guarantee that you can get your money out of the platform since the government can’t protect you. That’s why we recommend that punters only play with the most reputable online gambling websites on the internet.
Is Customer Support good enough for players from Singapore?
This depends on which website you go to. The ones we mentioned above all have very efficient customer support representatives. With that, Singapore players are very much satisfied when they play on those aforementioned websites.
Can you bet online in Singapore?
Generally, online betting is not allowed. However, the Singapore Pools and Singapore Turf Club websites are the only exceptions.
What are the top sites for betting in Singapore?
We consider our top 3 choices to be the best online sites for sports in Singapore. The most popular bookmakers in Singapore are 1xbet, Melbet, and Betwinner.
What is the best sports betting site in Singapore?
We believe the top choice as the best bookmakers in Singapore are 1xbet and Betwinner.
How to understand if my bookie is legal in Singapore?
Generally, all bookies are illegal in Singapore. The only exceptions are the Singapore Turf Club and Singapore Pools.
How to bet in Singapore?
The only safe way to bet is via Singapore Turf Club or Singapore Pools.
Is Gambling in Singapore legal?
Gambling itself is legal in Singapore but under strict monitoring from the government. However, online sports betting is not.
Are there local bookies in Singapore?
Yes, there are some local bookies in Singapore. However, these local bookies are still all illegal.
Is online poker legal in Singapore?
Yes, online poker tables are illegal in Singapore. You may only play poker in regulated, land-based casinos.
Are online lotteries legal?
Unless they’re held in the Singapore Pools Sports and Singapore Turf Club websites, then they’re not legal.
- The 2014 Remote Gambling Act makes playing in any overseas-based gambling platform an offence.
- If you get caught playing in an online gambling platform, you could be fined 5,000 SGD or spend six months in jail.
- Legally, 4D and Toto seem to be the most popular mediums for gambling.
- The percentage of those who got addicted to gambling in Singapore, also called pathological gamblers, increased from 0.7% in the year 2014 to 0.9% in 2017.
Are There Any Restrictions for Players from Singapore?
As a general rule, online sports betting is illegal in Singapore. That’s why a number of overseas websites have already been blocked even if they are licensed betting sites available in Singapore. That said, there are limits as to what a Singapore citizen can do if he or she wants to bet online.
In our opinion, the Singapore market for gambling is pretty ripe already. Fortunately, 2016 saw the possibility of having more remote gambling exceptions although nothing is set in stone yet. If some of the betting rules and policies in Singapore are somehow eased, we’ll see a whole new market pop up. There will be more local bookies, blogs that give Singapore bet tips or bet predictions, and an overall robust gambling community. Only time will tell if that will happen.