- Top 3 Foreign Bookmakers in Ireland
- Betting in Ireland - Things to know
- Sports Betting in Ireland: An Overview
- Odds Format
- Available Betting Markets
- User Experience
- Bonuses and Promotions
- Live Betting, Live Streaming & Cash-Out
- Online Casinos in Ireland
- Payment Methods
- Mobile Betting
- Safety and Security
- Customer Support
- Interesting Facts
- Restrictions for Players from Ireland
Which are the 10 leading gambling sites in Ireland and where to bet safely?
Is gambling in Ireland legal and which bookmaker to choose for your bets? Discover the answers to these questions by reading our full overview of Ireland’s betting industry. Learn of the available sports markets, the preferred payment methods and most used features. Below you can find a table that includes the most reputable bookmakers on the Irish market.
- Population: The island of Ireland is divided politically into two – Northern Ireland, which is a part of the United Kingdom, and the independent Republic of Ireland. The island has a total combined population of 6.7 million with the Republic of Ireland being the more populous of the two, with 4.85 million citizens.
- Active Players: The gambling industry in Ireland is flourishing, with 66% of the total adult population (more than 3 million people) participating in some form of gambling.
- Currency: Up until the adoption of the Euro as their official currency in 2002, Ireland used the Irish Pound from 1997 to 1999.
- Regulated Gambling Products: Ireland’s legal system provides licenses for various types of gambling activities such as: Betting, both online and land-based, Fantasy Betting, Lotteries, Sports Betting. No licenses are provided for casino games since commercial casinos are not allowed to operate within Irish borders, but there are various member-type clubs that offer casino games to its members.
- Operator Types: Gambling is a large part of Irish culture with various laws implemented to regulate the operation of Irish betting companies. The betting acts implemented between 1931 and 2015 have various provisions for the operation and licensing of bookmakers, both online and land-based, and also betting intermediaries. Moreover, the 2013 National Lottery Act allowed the licensing of the Irish national lottery, while smaller lottery operations remain under the regulations of the G&L Acts.
- Designated Authority: There is no separate official regulating body for gambling in Ireland, despite gambling being one of the most popular pastimes of the Irish. As of now, the Irish Revenue Commissioners are the ones that regulate all betting markets. They enforce and ensure that all aspects of the law like having the required licenses, tax remittances, and all procedures are met.
- Status: Irish citizens currently enjoy a great deal of access to various gambling activities, both land-based and online. This is because, since the implementation of the 1854 Betting Act, Irish law has continued to modernize and evolve to accommodate the ever-changing nature of the gambling industry. This is evident when the Irish government integrated online gambling into their laws in 2003 through the issuance of local licenses to remote operators. This allowed Irish citizens to enjoy online betting at any licensed betting site, both local and offshore.
Top 3 Foreign Bookmakers in Ireland
Here are the top 3 foreign bookmakers that accept registrations from Irish punters.
Bet365 is a UK-based company that offers a large selection of casino games and sports betting options, including e-Sports like Dota 2 and LOL. Their sports betting section covers a wide range of sports – from popular ones like football to more unconventional ones like MMA.
Aiming to meet all the customers’ expectations, Bet365 also offers a variety of betting markets, payment options, and withdrawals that are free from fees. Aside from this, both new and existing players also enjoy several lucrative bonuses and promotions.
However, the lack of virtual sports can be a drawback for some, and some deposit methods may require some fees. Nevertheless, Bet365 is fast becoming one of the most established bookmakers in the industry, especially with their impressive marketing presence.
Having more than a decade experience on the market, 888Sport is a subsidiary company of the award-winning 888 Holdings. They offer a wide selection of sports betting options and markets which is easily accessible to players.
Aside from their impressive selection of sports betting, they also have amazing bonuses and promotions that players can take advantage of. As one of the most prominent betting companies, they have convenient payment methods that make it easy for players everywhere to place their bets and withdraw their winnings.
However, unlike other betting companies, they don’t offer virtual sports betting options. Despite this, 888sport offers amazing betting options and markets to players far and wide.
10bet is part of the popular company, a well-known brand in the online casino gaming industry. They have been offering their online services since 2003.
As part of one of the most established names in the industry, 10bet has a large selection of betting options and markets, including a live casino and e-Sports.
They offer some of the most competitive odds and incredible bonuses and promotions to their players, further solidifying the 10bet name in the gambling industry. The only drawback to this company is their lack of live streaming option.
However, despite this, 10bet offers some of the best betting options and markets in the industry. Moreover, backed by the 10bet brand, you can be sure that you get only high-quality service.
Important Things to Know About Betting Sites in Ireland
- Betting Environment
Betting and gambling, in general, are a big part of Irish culture. This is evident in the fact that approximately 15% of their adult population participate in betting activities on a daily basis. Moreover, Ireland is home to one of the largest betting companies in the world. Irish players can expect to continue enjoying access to both local and offshore betting sites as Irish laws are often updated to keep up with the constant changes in the gambling industry.
Ireland’s more open stance towards gambling allows their citizens to enjoy access to some of the most prominent betting sites, both local and foreign. Their local online betting industry is dominated by the powerhouse Paddy Power, which controls around 17% of the market. Whereas online betting is allowed, commercial casinos are prohibited by Irish law to operate within its borders. However, this law doesn’t apply to member-only clubs that offer casino games. There are very few restrictions when it comes to gambling in Ireland, provided that bookmakers follow the rules and limits set by the government.
Because of their approach towards gambling, both local and foreign betting sites are allowed to operate within Irish borders, provided that they have the license to do so.
- Active Players
The Irish have a prevalent love for gambling, with over 66% of their total population (around 3 million people) participating in some form of gambling or betting.
- Key Info for Players in Ireland
Ireland’s laxer stance when it comes to most forms of gambling activities enables them to gain access and services from some of the most prominent betting companies such as Bethard, 888sport, and Mansionbet. As long as the bookmaker has a license and fully complies with Irish law, they are free to operate as they please.
- Gambling Taxes and Safety
In Ireland, winnings are not considered as part of one’s personal income and therefore remain tax-free. The Irish government imposes taxes through excise duties on the turnover of bookies.Regarding safety, online betting in Ireland is considered safe, for the most part. However, considering the internet is widely unregulated, one must still exercise some caution, especially when it comes to betting. One betting tip is to stick to established betting companies as they have been tested and proven to be reliable and trustworthy.
Sports Betting in Ireland: An Overview
Overall we can say that Ireland enjoys access to some of the best and most prominent sports bookmakers like 888sport, Bethard, and Mansionbet. Irish punters have different preferences when it comes to sports betting, with only football and horse racing as the common sport with their British neighbours. Aside from these two, they also enjoy betting on sports like darts, Gaelic football, and rugby. Moreover, because of their winnings remaining tax-free, Irish players are able to easily and quickly find bookies who can offer them high odds and amazing player promotions.
In addition, Ireland has access to some of the best betting sites, both local and foreign. However, local gambling powerhouse Paddy Power dominates the Irish market.
What Kind of Odds Format Is Used in Irelad?
Like their British neighbours, Ireland uses the odds format of fractional odds.
Available Betting Markets in Most Bookmakers
Because they enjoy increased access to most bookmakers, they also enjoy most of the betting markets available in most bookmakers such as:
- 2nd goal
- total goals
- double chance
- Asian Handicap
- Both teams to score
- Number of goals
Irish players are some of the luckiest players in the world because of their virtually unfiltered access to some of the most established betting companies. Aside from their increased access, they also enjoy an absence of tax on their winnings.
Bonuses and Promotions for bettors from Ireland
The number of bonuses and promotions available to Irish players is incredible, with many of them enjoying numerous welcoming first bets, free bets, and other lucrative promotions. Aside from the offers to new players, existing players also enjoy many promotions and bonuses for their continued patronage.
Live Betting, Live Streaming & Cash-Out Features
Among the top three best foreign bookmakers in Ireland, only 888sport offers a live streaming option to its patrons. However, all three bookies have excellent live betting and cash-out features.
Online Casinos in Ireland
According to Irish law, only commercial casinos are prohibited from offering their services to their citizens. Online casinos and other forms of online betting remain legal, provided they are done through licensed operators. Despite this ban on commercial casinos, many companies have worked around this restriction through the form of member-only clubs that essentially act as mini-casinos.
Available Methods for Withdrawals and Deposits
Irish players enjoy various payment methods for both withdrawals and deposits – from the most common debit/credit cards to e-wallets like Skrill and Neteller.
Mobile Betting and Betting Apps
Because of their unrestricted access to some of the most established and prominent bookies, Irish players also enjoy access to their innovative software solutions like mobile apps.
Safety and Security
Betting is generally considered safe in Ireland, especially if you do it with licensed operators. The legalization of gambling has not only allowed betting companies to operate within Irish borders, but this has also allowed the Irish government to hold these companies accountable should something go wrong.
Is Customer Support good enough for players from Ireland?
Irish players generally receive excellent customer support from bookies, with most of them being accessible via different channels. Most bookies can be reached through phone, email, or live chat support.
Is betting legal in Ireland?
Betting is, for the most part, legal in Ireland. Only commercial casinos are prohibited from operating within their borders, but casino services are available either online or through member-only clubs that offer casino games.
What betting apps are the best and available for Ireland?
The top three betting sites, 888sport, Bethard, and Mansionbet – all have mobile betting apps for your convenience.
Is online lottery legal in Ireland?
A: Yes, it’s legal. The National Lottery Act of 2013 legalized online lottery, provided you acquire a license for operation.
Is gambling tax-free in Ireland?
Only bookmakers are taxed in the form of excise duties. Winnings are not considered as part of one’s income and are therefore not taxed by the government.
How old do you have to be to gamble in Ireland?
Irish law states that you must be aged 18 and above to be able to participate in gambling activities.
Do bookmakers require a minimum amount for a deposit when signing up?
Most bookies require players to deposit a minimum which is typically around $10 or £8.
How do I get my winnings?
Irish players enjoy a variety of withdrawal options, from banks to less conventional methods like e-wallets.
- The oldest operational bookmaker, Ladbrokes, was founded in Ireland in 1902.
- More than 40% of Ireland’s adult population participates in the national lottery.
- Casinos are prohibited from operating, but member-type clubs that offer casino games aren’t.
- Ladbrokes-Coral PLC is considered the largest retail bookmaker in the world, based on their turnover alone.
- The gambling turnover in Ireland is approximately €10,000 daily.
- Paddy Power, a local gambling powerhouse, handles 17% of Ireland’s total gambling market.
- That the National Lottery raises around €4 million weekly for their projects.
Are There Any Restrictions for Players from Ireland?
There are very few restrictions imposed on Irish players. As long as they comply with local rules and regulations, they can enjoy virtually no limits when it comes to online gambling.
When it comes to gambling, the Irish can be considered as one of the luckiest in the world. Their laws and regulations have allowed them not only to access some of the best betting sites in the world, but this has also afforded them protection and security that other countries may not enjoy.
As long as they and bookmakers fully comply with the regulations set by the Irish government, they can enjoy virtually unfiltered access and smooth and rewarding betting experience.